Top 10 ways to celebrate Christmas and bask in yule tide cheer
Enjoy these Christmas activities for festive fun all month long:
- See a Christmas play.
I recently saw The Christmas Schooner at Mercury Theater in Chicago and I recommend it. Last year I saw a play about Sherlock Holmes solving the mystery of a Christmas Goose. Whatever your tastes, I’m sure that there is a holiday themed play that you’ll enjoy.
- Walk around and soak up the Christmas splendor.
Also, every Chicagoan should check out Zoolights at the Lincoln Park Zoo. It’s free and a holiday tradition for me and my family.
- Call-in sick and reenact scenes from Ferris Bueller’s Day Off.
Nothing marks the holidays like playing hooky and enjoying the afternoon by visiting your favorite museums while everyone else is at work. Cue movie montage!
(if you have not seen Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, then watch the epic video below.)
- Decorate your home with as many lights and ornaments as possible.
I can’t mess with a classic. It fills my apartment with cheer and makes me feel like I actually accomplished something!
- Play video games at a friend’s house (but beware that Mario Cart rage is real!).
You can feel like a child again with absolutely no responsibilities. Huzzah! Plus it reduces stress.
- Leave your Christmas Shopping until the day before Christmas.
I never actually mean to do this, but it ends up happening and I’ve grown to enjoy watching a horde of people frantically diving for presents.
- Leave your real shopping until AFTER Christmas.
Black Friday? I think not! I count on overstock to drive prices so low that stores will practically give goods away.
- Dance to a playlist of songs you thought were cool when you were 13.
I don’t know the science behind why this works, but it does. Remember N’sync, Ludacris, Backstreet Boys? Well they are back just in time for Christmas! And the N’sync Christmas CD is obviously a must.
- Consume EVERY seasonal holiday flavor (particularly when it’s on sale).
Pumpkin Spice, Caramel Brulee, Egg Nog, Spiced Wine, and all other ‘spiced’ varieties = holiday deliciousness. Even though I grow weary of every company having a pumpkin spiced product, I will still buy them all and enjoy them until I literally feel sick.
- Call up friends and family I haven’t spoken too in a while.
If calling people makes you feel nervous, you can write a candid letter or email. I love to reconnect with friends and family. This is part of what makes the holidays so special.
These are just some of the things I like to do this time of year that make it feel like the holidays. It’s probably one of the few times a year when you are allowed to slow down and smell the pumpkin spice latte, so enjoy it. Particularly, please enjoy it with the people you love most!!
I wish all of you a Happy Holiday filled with Love and epic fun!
One of the best scenes of all time!!